Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Clapping Class

I’m 1/3 done; Holy S**T! Time is flying and within 8 short months I’ll be tagging three very expensive, but invaluable letters to my name ;) I’m feeling more confident then ever that the program is providing me with the skills and network that I need to achieve my post-MBA goals, and I’m going to ensure that I’m working my ass off to make it happen. Remember; things don’t necessarily fall in your lap during an MBA program…you’ve got to make things happen! That said I’ve definitely lost a fair amount of hair during the first bit of the program, which really sucks….guys are conscious about their receding hair lines and I’m no different. I also find myself rapidly turning grey; I seem to be getting more comments then ever on how my hair is turning grey….at first it was cool because I felt wiser and more mature but now I think I’m just starting to look older? Did I mention that I noticed a couple of greys in my beard and on my chest? Yes.. the stress and pressure of this program definitely have effects on us students…. when we first started the program there were likely only 2 or 3 regular smokers; now at break times there appears to be 10 to 15 (no I'm not one of them)! Remember to keep up the exercise during the program; I don’t think I would have gotten here thus far without staying healthy and active. I seem to get my stress relieve, second wind, and adrenalin rush from running at the end of a long day of classes…

Thought I’d share my top MBA phrases and words that I’ve picked up from the first 1/3 of the program: ‘culture’, ‘holistic’, ‘burning-platform’, ‘urgency’, ‘communities of passion’, ‘vision’, and the one I seem to be saying all the time ‘apparently’.

So how did exams go you ask? They went as well as they could under the circumstances. I’ve had a lot on my plate and a lack of time. I’m happy with my finance exam, not very happy with accounting, and luke warm about strategy.

I’ve been overwhelmed by some of the response I’ve had lately from readers of my blog. I had no idea that people were actually reading this blog and it’s nice to receive emails and questions about the program from them. Originally, this blog was meant to be an open, public diary for my former work colleagues, friends, and peers that were curious as to what a realistic MBA experience is all about from a personal, and professional perspective. I didn’t refrain from sharing personal details, despite some of them being overly-personal. I now feel a bit of restrain from being as personal as I’ve been in the past, however I also believe that I’m not being true to myself or to anyone else if I don’t show that personal perspective.

Recruiting season has set in for the iBankers and consultants of the class; you can feel the competition heating up. Our class social coordinators have done a wonderful job in ensuring that the class continues to get out socially and relieve themselves of the day to day MBA and recruitment stress. All in all I must say that I’m delightfully surprised at how well the class continues to get along despite the increasing job competition, and despite the so-called ‘honeymoon’ period being over. Some groups of people tend to click more naturally then others; in our class’ case the Ivey admissions teams definitely hit the mark with selecting a compatible and diverse bunch…we jive, we have each other’s backs, and we are united. For example, every single time one our classmate’s make an announcement or a presentation the entire class provides a standing ovation or a loud applause for that person. We love encouraging each other and driving each other with positive reinforcement. Its gotten to the point where it’s almost amusing; our class just itches to applaud for each other… hence I now refer to our class as “the clapping class.”

On a secondary note, I honestly think that they are a few people in this class that will surely emerge as superstars within 5-10 years; after a few months you get a good sense of the gifts/talents that are hidden within each student …but there are a few that standout like sore thumbs. There is some incredible talent in the class and I find myself learning from their diversity and their gifts every day. I’m excited about re-visiting this blog entry a few years down the road to see if my prediction holds true. In the mean time I’m going to let my intellectual curiosity wander some more and to be as open as possible to continue absorbing from my mates.


Recently, our class president raised a very important topic to the class; the importance of not spreading ‘negativity.’ In my experience, negativity is contagious. It’s a cancer that spreads rapidly. Our strategy professor likes to call such things ‘viral.’ I think that name is appropriate. Day in and day I’m making more of effort to become a positive person. I believe in forceful optimism. I consider myself to be an eternal optimist but I’m human and I like to b**tch about things like everyone else. When others start to complain, under the right circumstance I’ll join in. Over the last year at Nortel, a work place that has its fair share of negativity (for obvious reasons), I’ve witnessed the power of negativity and what it can do in a work place….it spreads. I’ve also witnessed that being positive can encourage others and provide them with the inspiration to want to do their best. That’s who I want to be and who I strive to be.

Geeta and I were in Ottawa twice in August for two different weddings. Weddings seem to be seasonal in the East Indian community (my background)…they all seem to be in the July/August time frame. We had four weddings to attend in August but picked two. One by best friend’s got married last weekend. It was really nice to see how happy he is, and for whatever reason it made me appreciate how lucky I’ve been to have married my best friend. These days with life being so busy and all, I seem to take things for granted. I sometimes forget how good I’ve got things. Not too long ago, I decided to make some changes by spending more time at home, and by reducing the number of MBA social outings I attend. I think these changes have been positive, but I also realize that there is no substitute for time which will always be lacking throughout this program. For those entering into a one year program with partners, remember that you’re going to have to work that much harder to keep things good on the home front; you’ve got to treat this experience as a partnership! Also remember that you’re going to go through many ups and downs, but that you’ve got to take life day by day and find common ground.

My former director (bosses boss) at Nortel accepted a job in Turkey. I can’t say that I was surprised, but it made me think about the prospects of working somewhere international. I think that getting international experience would be an incredible experience and perhaps the timing is better then ever to go for it?

So what are my top learnings from the program thus far? I think that’s the topic of my next blog…stay tuned.

Until next time….which will hopefully be sooner then last time ;)

No comments: